For over 50 years, the annual STEAC Holiday Program has brought community members together to help provide gifts and food to low-income Davis families and individuals in need.
Adopt a Family
You will provide gifts and food for your adopted family. You can be an adopter yourself, or with your family, friends, club, group, or workplace.
Thank you to everyone who adopted a family for the 2023 Holiday Program. At this time, all families/ individuals have been matched and applications are closed.
* in 2022
About the adoption process
Community individuals, families, and groups (office, club or business) may participate as an Adopter. An eligible family, who has been screened by a crew of dedicated STEAC volunteers, is matched with the Adopter. Adopters will provide gifts and food for your adopted family. Adopters and Adoptees remain anonymous to each other.
The matching process will begin in early November and continue to the middle of the month. Our goal is to match adopters with adoptees as quickly as possible, so as soon as a match is made, you will receive all necessary details about your adoption in email. All matching will be complete before Thanksgiving.
The drop-off dates for the food and gifts for your Adoptees will be during the week of he drop-off dates will be December 5-7, 2023 at the First Baptist Church of Davis.
Details and deadlines
The details and deadlines for taking part in the program will be sent in an email to the Adopters when they are matched with their family/families. The helpful information will include:
- Donation drop-off dates and location.
- A Food List of what grocery items to purchase for your adopted family based on size and their preferred ethnically-inspired food list.
- Instructions for a Grocery Donation which is money that STEAC turns directly into grocery gift cards so your adopted family/families can purchase perishable food items such as meat, fresh produce and dairy from a local grocery store to complement the non-perishable food that you are providing.
- A Wish List of gift ideas from each person in your adopted family. You are asked to provide one or more new gifts with a total value of about $30 for each family member.
- A detailed FAQ list that should answer most other questions you may have.
Cost information by family size
|Type of family||# of family members||Approximate cost|
|Single||1||$120 - $160|
|Small||2 - 3||$200 - $250|
|Medium||4 - 5||$300 - $350|
|Large||6 - 7||$400 - $450|